What is the Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS) System?
PBIS is a set of strategies and systems that enables our school to:
- Create a culture of positive behaviors.
- Reduce behavior disruptions.
- Create appropriate environments to educate all students.
- Maximize academic achievement.
This approach fosters successful social behavior and encourages school staff, students, families, and community members to work together to create a culture with consistent expectations.
PBIS invests in prevention. Some of the strategies include:
- Proactive Intervention-identifying the behaviors expected in all settings.
- Active Teaching—teachers, students, families and community members work together to teach and model appropriate behavior.
- Ongoing recognition of appropriate behavior. (Individual students and entire classes work to earn wolf tickets which are exchanged for tangible and intangible rewards)
- Clear, consistent consequences for inappropriate student behavior.
- Additional support for students with more significant needs.
- Collecting and using data to make decisions.